Monday, March 16, 2015

#SpringBreak15

So, after my last post, I got FOUR more days off...God shut down the highways with ice and snow, so we'd be forced to stay home.  All of us.  Together.  In Texas.  In March.  We danced around falling giant snowflakes, built snowmen, and snow angels.  We laughed until we couldn't breathe, as we ducked behind trees, pelting each other with snowballs that poofed on impact.  We drank hot chocolate, and tracked icy, wet slush into our living room.  It was magnificent.



"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven..." 
~Ecclesiastes 3:1 KJV

And when the sun came out, it melted away, just as quickly as it came.  And it seems, Spring was born.  A new season of new beginnings.  Again.  Another chance to get it right.  To see God in all of the muck of everyday, redundant, repetitive, bland...life.  Everyday, we can choose love.  We can choose joy.  We can choose to really live.  And when we choose to acknowledge God in all things, He shows up BIG.

"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen." 
~Ephesians 3:20-21 NKJV

Cooper had a half-day of school, the last day before Spring Break.  So right after I got to pick him up, we headed about a mile down the road to one of his favorite spots, usually reserved only for birthday parties; we had cause for celebration.  And guess what we found?  We pretty much had the whole place to ourselves.  And when we got there at just the right time, after the technician tested all the games, there were streamers of tickets hanging down from each machine, for the taking.  So before we even changed our cash to tokens, we had hands full of tickets!


"You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."  ~Psalm 16:11 NIV

  

I've been blessed this week to have my mornings off with my Cooper, home from school for 9 glorious days!  And it's just like old times.  I purposely decided, as exhausted as my body may be, we were going to do something fun, that we both agreed on, everyday.

He just recently started receiving an allowance, which was just as much my way of controlling my husband's incessant need to get Cooper each and every thing he's ever asked for, as it was for teaching Cooper responsibility, and the value of money.  Along with Cooper's Lunar New Year lucky money, and the piggy banks he's filled, he was able to purchase his first toys.  After throwing a bit of a tantrum, because we couldn't go to Amazon to buy his toy, I explained it would cost him more to have it shipped next day, which would mean we couldn't order his toy right away.  He reasonably decided he would wait the 7-9 days it would take to get here.  Now that he's in kindergarten! he's learning his days of the week, dates, and months.  He understood it would be a whole new Monday, of a whole new week, before his box might possibly arrive.  You know when you feel like you should receive a parenting gold star?  That was my moment.  With some of the remainder of his money, he had enough to get a smaller version of his new obsession:  Godzilla.

"Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it."
~Proverbs 22:6 ESV



The next day, I asked a friend, who just got the job she's been believing God for, if I could take her precious kids with us to watch a show put on by the Fort Worth Opera, just for children.  With just one more party in line before us, a theater representative, shouted out to the crowded lobby, "I'm so sorry folks, but we're all SOLD OUT!"  I looked down at these three kids I had just rushed into the car, commanded to eat breakfast on the ride, and rushed out of the car, after circling the block four times to find a parking space...and I thought, "there is NO WAY we are not watching this show."  The two women, with their three kids, in line just in front of us, stepped out of line, and exited the building.  I just stood there.  The Parable of the Persistent Widow, (Luke 18:1-8), came to mind.  And I just waited.  The lady at the ticket counter hadn't closed her window, yet.  I watched her type away.  She was careful not to look up, not to make eye-contact with anyone in the angry mob of parents in front of her.

She kindly said, "how many tickets do you need?"
I responded, "I'll pay for four tickets, but I only need three seats."
She said, "I think I can get you in."

We were packed in that little theater like sardines, and we loved every minute of it!  All the while, I praised God He didn't give me all the children I thought I wanted!  I truly felt accomplished after I got them back home, safe and sound, after trekking into the city, hand in hand in hand in hand.


The following day, Cooper accompanied me to the restaurant supply store, and up to our family business, which is a good 45 miles away, to deliver the week's produce.  It took half of our day, but we were together, and that was enough.  On our way home, we had to stop to enjoy the sunshine.  We took one of our favorite rides, barely making the last train.  As jam-packed as it was, Cooper eyed the front seat, just behind the engine, and sure enough, he got it!

    




We weren't done for the day.  We stopped at one of my favorite taco places:  Yucatan Taco Stand, and got their massive nachos.  But since my 5yo boy doesn't like all the fixin's, they let us have the deconstructed version.  Godzilla joined us for dinner, of course.




The next day, we were due at the Museum of the American Railroad, in Frisco.  Since the museum is still under massive construction, they only offer walking tours at certain hours.  And since we live a good hour away, when traffic came to a standstill on the highway, we were certain not to make it.  Then I remembered one of my very favorite places is in Friso:  IKEA.  We took a detour, and got there in no time.  Cooper was the last kid allowed in their popular childcare center, and I was free to shop for an entire hour, by myself!  We enjoyed a delicious, inexpensive lunch in their cafe, and Cooper got to pick out a toy, using his own money.  I got a bunch of stuff I didn't even know I needed! including a simple spice rack to store and display some of my essential oils.



The following rainy morning, my big brother met us at the movies to watch Disney's new film: Cinderella.  It was an endearing retelling of my favorite fairy tale, with great acting, and a sincere spirit.  {Personally, I prefer Drew Barrymore's version:  Ever After: A Cinderella Story.}  But the sweetest part about going to the movies that morning, was seeing an uncle with his nephew, and knowing they were both willing to watch this ultimate chick flick with me.


"Be devoted to one another in love.  Honor one another above yourselves." 
~Romans 12:10 NIV
  
My week would not have been complete without a night out with my wonderful husband.  We managed a night off together, which was no small feat.  And we did what we enjoy most; we took a long ride.  That's where we're safe to talk, and plan, and dream.

  

There's one more thing:  I found my new church home.  After eight months of "visiting" this new church, it has won my heart.  It is filled with compassionate servants.  One by one, they have shown me the love of Christ.  From my first sit-down with a pastor, who let me share and cry, and grieve the loss of my church home, to the encouraging, relevant, Word-rooted messages, to their supportive, and Spirit-nurturing Women's Bible Study, to their amazing worship services, to their community and worldwide outreach programs, to their Truth-grounded Children's ministry, they want God's best for me and my family.  If you're in the Arlington area, and you're looking for a church that is filled with God's love, I would encourage you to visit The Church on Rush Creek.


"Gather my saints together unto me; those that have made a covenant with me by sacrifice." 
~Psalm 50:5 KJV


    

No comments:

Post a Comment